Monday, December 28, 2009

We have a Date!

January 7th, 9am. I'm glad. Relieved it's official. Well, part official - the time may change. The neuroscience department is overbooked for that clinic but they said, even though Sam just is scheduled in, "it is essential he be there". I know they say this because of his age already - but it still makes me feel a little edgy. It's just the consult with the surgeons, where they meet and decide what course of action Sam needs. Anyways, they did give me the name of both surgeons that will be working with him. There is a pediatric neurosurgeon as well as a plastic surgeon. The surgery is about 9 hours long and, I will talk about all the rest later.....breathe......
Mike and I have been trying to sort out flights and we were hoping to do a round trip in one day. Now with the 9 am appt, that likely won't work. I think we will have to get a hotel room after all - another expense.
I was reading on the Craniokids forum and read something that I thought was crazy (besides cranio and how they fix it) but the cost of this surgery in the States - $175 thousand! Half of the people on the board are talking about the fear of Cranio, and the other half share that same fear but are also terrified with how they can afford it. As if Cranio isn't enough stress?!


I like to title this next part, Viewer Mail


I know this blog is only a few days old, but happily for me, I already have a few loyal followers. I'd like to address a few of the most popular questions I have received.




  1. What are we having for supper tonight? Pizza. Not even the good kind - just the throw in from a box kind. Too much hoopla to cook today.

  2. How many times has Sam pooped today? I thought this was a little inappropriate, but most of us are mommies so.....wait for it.....2 times so far today!

  3. What funny things have the girls done today? Kat looked at me, put her hand on my face and said, "You're not really that ugly mom" I LOVE those compliments that aren't really compliments. And Kenzie fell asleep hanging off the couch - she had a sleepover last night at her little friend's house and is a very sleepy little girl today.

  4. What am I wearing? I am wearing polka dot loungey/sleep pants (which coincidentally I was pantsed in today while we had company in our entrance way- by Katarina) and a long sleeved white fitted t-shirt.


* Note: I did NOT include the pantsing as a funny thing that happened today.



I think my pizza is done now, and I need to book some flights. Happy Monday!

5 comments:

  1. I am so happy you have a date for your first appointment. Now you can start planning which is so much better than waiting.
    I have a question... is the surgery covered by the Saskatchewan Plan?
    And just to let you know, I love reading blogs... I think it satisfies the stalker in me! LOL
    (((HUGS)))

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, everything but travel is covered. Mike's looking into more since there is no pediatric neurosurgeon here - but we'll see...
    And thank you, I'm just a beginner blogger - but I've wanted to for awhile now and I'm glad that I'm satisfying something! hA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi, my name is Jacqui and I am a satisfied stalker of Kristen, thanks friend!

    I don't know if you will get to meet Marlene (she is the only neurology nurse that I know in the neurology outpatient dept at Alberta Children's Hospital. She is wonderful. But I think they all have to be pretty wonderful to work where they do. You should phone Ronald McDonald House - (403) 240-3000 asap and see about staying there. It is right next to the hospital.

    XOXO,
    Jacqui

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Jacqui, we are going to look into that if/when he has the surgery - as we will need to be in Calgary for a week at that time. But I think we will catch the 6 am flight and leave that night - all on the 7th. I very much appreciate the phone number.
    K

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, your travel and meals can be claimed as a medical expense on your income tax. Keep your receipts!

    ReplyDelete